Saturday, July 3, 2010

Why Wasn’t I Enough

Why wasn’t I enough for you

I gave you what you needed

I treated you with respect

I gave you the best of me

Why could you not reward me

for all my hard work?

Be proud of my accomplishments.

Why wasn't I good enough for you?

For two years I pushed and pushed myself

To become the person you wanted me to be

Yet, it was never ever enough.

Why did you neglect and abuse me?

You broke my spirit and wore me down

It was always your love and affection

I sought, wanted and needed.

Look at me and tell me why I wasn’t enough?



With all that is within me


I ask for your forgiveness

You were exactly who I wanted to be

I just couldn’t see it

My eyes were clouded and glazed

With a trick mirror of life

Your reflection was distorted

I couldn’t see your beauty within or without

I was measuring you against a flawed system

Holding you to “perfect” standards

Set by an imperfect world

Now that you have gone away

And the mirror has been replaced

I see who and what you are

Please come back to me

I will treat you with all the respect

And love that you deserve

I will cherish you every step of the way

Kiss away your sorrow and hurt

Celebrate every triumph and every victory

If you honor me with your presence

I will feed your soul what it needs

I can feel the trust you have in me

I will honor that trust

I will not allow anyone –

Including myself

To misuse you ever again

Your eyes are wary as I look at you

In my new mirror of life

I see the reflection of me

I love who I am.

I love who we will become

Together.

© C. Stinson July 3, 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment