Sunday, August 1, 2010

Summer Getaway Part 1

I did it. I packed a bag and drove. Not quite as spontaneous as I said but as much as I can be. I mapped out a route and took off. It was quite a leisurely drive down US 65 N. Thought I would go a little crazy from the slow ride until I reminded myself I was not on a time schedule. I took in the sights while people drove around me. Then I saw a sign that said Natural Bridge of Arkansas 15 Miles Ahead. Talk about things that make you go hmmmm.

So of course I took the turn and decided to see for myself. The real adventure was the steep winding downhill narrow road. Caution use first gear, 15 mph (more like 2 mph). I am not ashamed to say I screamed few times going down and even asked myself "where in the heck" - okay I said hell – “am I going and did you forget you are by yourself?”

I made it down the hill and came to the entrance – an old log cabin selling all kinds of country bumpkin and old fashioned souvenirs. Country bumpkin – not my word. There was a country bumpkin emergency kit. I should have taken a picture of it. I did buy a back scratcher for a $1.50.

It cost $4 to gaze upon one the “natural wonders of the world”. Really? Well I paid my money since I made the dangerous trip down. The ride down was worth more. The path to the bridge was full of signs warning that “they” were not responsible for any accidents and of course “you are not allowed on the bridge”. Also as part of the attraction was an old Moon Shine house with several antique items. Made me remember how glad I am that I was born after that time in life.

Oh and did you know there are camels in Arkansas? I didn’t. On the road to the bridge, I saw a herd of cows and stopped to take a picture when I realized that among them sat a camel.

I made it to my destination following my yahoo directions. Thanks for all those who encouraged me to get out and do this. I have been talking about it - thinking about it for a long time but finally did it. This is just the beginning…..

1 comment:

  1. You cannot imagine my excitement when I first saw your facebook stat with the camel sighting. I, too, have passed this on the highway. Now, I can verify my sanity. Maybe.

    ReplyDelete